The Motor Neurone Disease Association of New South Wales is a registered charity.
Vice Patrons: Melinda Gainsford Taylor, Kevin Langdon OAM and Hon Mr Justice Peter W Young.
The purpose of Motor Neurone Disease New South Wales is given by the following Objects:
- To provide benefits for and services to members of the Association with motor neurone disease, their families and carers without discrimination.
- To distribute authoritative information and promotion of education to all people with motor neurone disease, their families, their carers, health professionals and the public.
- To promote public awareness of motor neurone disease.
- To assist by providing specialised equipment for patient use on a loan basis, where practicable.
- To facilitate the formation and operation of branches and support groups.
- To encourage and assist in the establishment of service organisations for patient treatment, support and care.
- To promote the study of and research into the causes, treatment and cure(s) of motor neurone disease.
- To encourage fundraising and to raise funds for allocation to research work by Motor Neurone Disease Research Australia, or other government recognised research organisations.
- To inform members and the public about research being undertaken in Australia and overseas.
- To promote, develop and accept membership into the Association from patients, their families, carers, health professionals, interested persons and the public.
- To hold social, educational and support meetings of members - such meetings not being general meetings.
- To promote co-operation among members and to represent their interests.
- To provide a caring link between patients in order to reduce the feeling of isolation.
- To co-operate with other self-help organisations and with other local, state, territory, national and international motor neurone disease Associations in the achievement of these Objects.
- To establish, maintain and extend a comprehensive library of motor neurone disease and other requisite works.
- To invest moneys of the Association not immediately required in approved interest bearing funds.
- To raise funds and to promote fundraising by branches and support groups for patient services.
- To do all other things as may be necessary to achieve the above mentioned Objects.